For Immediate Release
Cradle of Aviation Museum Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Apollo All Day & Night on July 20, 2019
Home of the Lunar Module Brings Community Together with Two Commemorative Events Highlighting Long Islanders’ Contributions to the Apollo Program
Garden City, N.Y.- June 26, 2019 – On July 20, 1969 over 600 million people watched Neil Armstrong take the first steps on the moon. It is considered one of the greatest human and technological achievements in history. On Saturday, July 20, 2019, thousands of people will be joining together at the Cradle of Aviation Museum to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the historic Apollo 11 mission. The Cradle of Aviation, home of the Lunar Module, is celebrating all day and night with two festive events to give the community an opportunity to learn, reflect, remember, & jointly celebrate, all the wonder, achievement, and pride that is Apollo.
“ If you’re planning on celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing there is only one place you should be…and that’s the Cradle. Fun for the whole family celebrating the most important event in our history.” – Andrew Parton, President of Cradle of Aviation Museum & Education Center
APOLLO AT 50 MOON FEST
Saturday, July 20, 2019 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM Tickets $20 Adults; $15 Kids/Senior (Kids 2-12) A fun, family-friendly festival includes
- COMMUNITY COUNTDOWN TO LUNAR LANDING – Join in a Community Countdown at 4:17 pm to collectively watch, re-experience, and honor as a community, the historic “The Eagle has Landed” Lunar Module landing on the moon.
- ASTRONAUT ENCOUNTERS with Space Shuttle Astronauts Bill Shepherd (Babylon) & Charlie Camarda (Ozone Park), both from Long Island, and Bob Cenker.
- MOON BUGGY RACES – Traverse a lunar obstacle course driving an electric lunar rover. (kids)
- VIRTUAL REALITY – Explore the inside and outside of the Apollo 11 up close and personal with Microsoft’s Mixed Reality and the Microsoft HoloLens technology.
- APOLLO 11 FIRST STEPS in IMAX – Experience a free showing of the new highly-acclaimed documentary, Apollo 11 First Steps Edition in our immersive Dome Theater. Playing hourly.
- SOLAR TELESCOPES- Explore the sun with a special purpose solar telescope.
- LAUNCH ROCKETS – Build, decorate, then launch a water bottle rocket.
- ROBOTICS DEMONSTRATIONS – View and interact with student-built robotics from the First Lego League.
- VISITS FROM THE UNIVERSE – The not-for profit, NY Avengers Cosplayers are assembling at the Cradle to celebrate the American heroes who contributed to the successful lunar landing.
- And so much more…
Museum opens at 9:30am. Family activities are 12:00 – 4:00pm. Countdown begins at 4:00pm.
APOLLO AT COUNTDOWN CELEBRATION
Saturday, July 20, 2019 7:00-11:00 PM Tickets $125. A Dinner ticket automatically gives admission to Apollo Moon Fest Events
A lively dinner and champagne toast with music and dancing, as the community comes together to watch and re-experience the unforgettable first steps on the moon at 10:56 pm with a special moon landing viewing and countdown.
GO BACK IN TIME
- Dance the night away with live music with a 1960s style band.
- Dress to impress in your favorite vintage 1960s clothing.
- Watch original Apollo 11 footage in a re-created 1969 living room.
- Share stories with family members and learn about Long Island’s contributions to space while visiting our Apollo Exhibit showcasing the largest collection of Lunar Module artifacts, parts, images, & documentation.
- Countdown and toast to the first steps jointly as a community!
Space Shuttle Astronauts Bill Shepherd (Babylon) & Charlie Camarda (Ozone Park), both from Long Island, and Bob Cenker, will be in attendance.
Tickets to either event can be purchased at www.cradleofaviation.org/apollo or by calling Reservations 516-572-4066 (M-F) 10:00am-4:00pm) Grumman Retirees and Museum Members, may call Reservations for discounted tickets. Proceeds to Benefit Museum Education and Preservation Programs.
The Cradle of Aviation Museum and Education Center is home to over 75 planes and spacecraft representing over 100 years of aviation history and Long Island’s only Giant Screen Dome Theater. Currently, the museum is celebrating “Countdown to Apollo at 50” sponsored by the Robert D.L. Gardiner Foundation, showcasing Long Island and Grumman’s significant role in the Apollo program. The Museum was recently recognized and listed on New York State’s National Register of Historic Places as a significant part of American history. The museum is located on Museum Row, Charles Lindbergh Blvd., in East Garden City. For more information call (516) 572-4111 or visit www.cradleofaviation.org.