Garden City, N.Y. Sept 9, 2020— To celebrate Hispanic Heritage month, the Cradle of Aviation Museum is hosting a series of virtual events to celebrate influential trailblazers in aeronautics. The museum’s virtual programming will start September 15, 2020 and culminate October 16, 2020. Every Tuesday the museum will highlight the accomplishments of an influential Latino pilot and/or astronaut and celebrate their heritage. All of the museum’s programs for Hispanic Heritage month are free.
The achievements of Félix Rigau Carrera, Fernando Caldeiro and George D. Zamka will be spotlighted and the museum will commemorate their culture by displaying its gastronomy. Virtual viewers will learn how to make simple, delicious and savory food that represent Félix Rigau Carrera and George D. Zamka. These Latino aviators have a connection to the history of aviation on Long Island. Either they trained in Long Island to become pilots or they trained in a Grumman aircraft. Join us weekly on our website or Facebook page to learn about their feats and heritage. On Saturday, October 3 at 11am, sign up for our Virtual Tour in Spanish and learn the history of aviation and the planes these aviators flew.
Interested in learning at home beyond the clouds and into the stars? We have you covered. On Friday, September 18 and October 16, we will host a bilingual virtual planetarium show “Las Estrellas De Las Américas” at 6pm on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CradleofAviation. As we observe the sky and travel from the Northern Hemisphere to the Southern Hemisphere, we encounter diverse astronomical phenomenon. We learn how these occurrences shaped the lives of these civilizations in Latin America.
It is a month fill with activities and videos honoring the Latin American culture. “I am super excited to be offering and leading the Museum’s bilingual planetarium show exploring the Latin American skies and to feature important figures like Félix Rigau Carrera, Fernando Caldeiro and George D. Zamka. What better way to display the contributions of Latino leaders in aeronautics and commemorate the vibrancy of my heritage.” – Ines Jijon, Bilingual Education Coordinator
Complete Schedule of Virtual Events
- September 15th: Celebrating the accomplishments of Félix Rigau Carrera
- 15 de septiembre: Celebrando las Aventuras de Aviador Félix Rigau Carrera
- September 18th: “Stars of the Americas” Facebook Live Bilingual Planetarium Show at 6pm https://www.facebook.com/CradleofAviation
- 18 de septiembre: “Las Estrellas de las Américas” Programación Bilingüe del Planetario en vivo en Facebook a las 6pm.
- September 22nd: Commemorating Felix Rigau Carrera’s Heritage ( Fried Plantains Video “Tostones con mojo de Ajo”)
- 22 de septiembre: Conmemorando la cultura de Félix Rigau Carrera: (Video de Tostones con mojo de Ajo)
- September 29th: Celebrating Fernando Caldiero trajectory as an Astronaut
- 29 de septiembre: Celebrando la trayectoria del Astronauta Fernando Caldeiro
- October 3rd: Virtual Tour of the Museum in Spanish https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYod-6uqTgtGdQXnDYdo4cCwnc2lQYPoD0R
- 3 de octubre: Tour Virtual del Museo en https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYod-6uqTgtGdQXnDYdo4cCwnc2lQYPoD0R
- October 6th: Honoring Astronaut George D. Zamka
- 6 de octubre: Honorar al Astronauta George D. Zamka
- October 13th: Celebrating the culture of George Zamka (Colombian Arepa Video)
- 13 de octubre: Celebrando la cultura de George Zamka (Arepas Colombianas Video)
- October 16th: “Stars of the Americas” Facebook Live Bilingual Planetarium Show at 6pm https://www.facebook.com/CradleofAviation
- 16 de octubre: “Las Estrellas de las Américas” Programación Bilingüe del Planetario en vivo en Facebook a las 6pm.
The Cradle of Aviation Museum & Education Center is home to over 75 planes and spacecraft representing over 100 years of aviation history and Long Island’s only Giant Screen Dome Theater. The museum recently reopened to the public in July. The health of its community and staff is its top priority. The museum’s safety preparedness plan can be found at www.cradleofaviation.org. The museum is located on Museum Row, Charles Lindbergh Blvd., in Garden City. Call (516) 572-4111 or visit www.cradleofaviation.org
Contact: Frances Cuomo Perpero, Director of Marketing & Communications email@example.com 516-238-6159